Katie's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

May 28, 12

Read in May, 2012

I catapulted into reading this 650-page fantasy epic directly after finishing "1Q84," which clocks in at 923 pages, if I remember correctly. I couldn't have picked two books that are farther apart in all categories except length and the creation of an alternate world. Where Murakami is sparse, direct, and uncompromising, Rothfuss is verbose, rambling, and explains every last eyebrow arch to the reader, in case his own storytelling cleverness might be missed. But that's what fantasy IS, and I enjoyed it immensely. The majority of the book is the transcription of the story of Kvothe: a mysterious innkeeper who, it turns out, has 650 pages (and a sequel) worth of adventures in his past. This is the sort of book I got 200 pages into before I was even sure I liked it, so fast did it make me turn pages. A few descriptions are effusive to the point of being saccharine, but again, it's an epic, I haven't read one in awhile, and Rothfuss is clearly a huge fantasy geek and I think that's great. The female characters are sparse, but several of them have the upper hand on Kvothe, whose notoriety is due in large part to the fact that so few people GET an upper hand on him. Assuming the sequel is a little more tightly controlled, and gives readers a little bit more to figure out as we go along, I'll definitely pick it up. Thank you for the recommendation, Erin!!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.