S.A. Hunter's Reviews > A Hidden Magic

A Hidden Magic by Vivian Vande Velde

May 28, 12

Read in May, 2012

This was actually a reread. I was looking at my bookshelves the other day and saw it. It was in my already read books group (as opposed to my unread books group) and picked it up because I couldn't remember a single thing about it, and the description didn't ring any bells. It wasn't until I was thirty plus pages in that I could definitively say I'd read this book before.

I've read other Vande Velde books and enjoyed them and have quite a few more on the TBR shelves, but this one was a little disappointing. It was very light on the characterization. There's a very lovely story here, but we're presented with only the barest bones of it. I feel it could have been easily twice as long. Jennifer and Norman's relationship doesn't develop. We're told they're in love and that's it. A little more relationship building would have been nice.

I feel this book is too lightly written. It hangs precariously between juvenile and easy reader. It could've been a lovely easy reader or an outstanding juvenile novel. The illustrations are lovely and some bits are great, but overall, I can understand why I forgot this book completely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hidden Magic.