Trisha's Reviews > The Backworlds

The Backworlds by M. Pax

Sep 26, 12

bookshelves: action, novellas, writer-friends-books, science-fiction, reviewed
Recommended for: anyone who wants an unbloated, entertaining read set in an original sci-fi world
Read from June 27 to September 26, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I absolutely LOVED M. Pax's novella, book #1 of THE BACKWORLDS. I look forward to seeing what happens in the next instalment. The world M. Pax has created is amazingly rich and authentic, and that's saying something since that world is set on planets (and sometimes moons) other than this one. ;) Another reviewer said, "M Pax has visited the stars, you can tell", and I totally agree with that!

I love M Pax's language and her unique set-up of all the worlds we visit. A moon covered mostly in black sand? That sounds pretty cool to me, though I'm sure it'd get old real fast. haha. More than anything, this feels like a set-up for a future series of radical space-travelling adventures, and no doubt there will be lots of action and danger for our friends on spaceship Sequi. Although M Pax's world is totally different to that presented in FIREFLY, I do find myself getting the same sense of 'family' from Craze's newfound friends as I get from the characters in FIREFLY. Anyway, I guess only time will tell whether that is really true, but things are looking up. And the fact that nobody murdered Craze for losing all the chocolate (or was it mealworms?) surely shows that they're not just in this for the money. ;)

On another note, if I had had this in print, I would probably have finished it on the same day I started reading it. But I do have a tough time reading eBooks since I have no eBook reader. Lately I've been thinking I should get one, but I still don't really WANT one. It'd just make life easier when it comes to this sort of read, that's all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Backworlds.

Quotes Trisha Liked

M. Pax
“You can take a flyin’ leap off a space dock.”
M. Pax, The Backworlds

M. Pax
“It made Craze smile, despite wishing most of his body parts would find new homes and leave him in peace.”
M. Pax, The Backworlds