Carrie Kellenberger's Reviews > The End of Everything

May 30, 12

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read from May 28 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy

The End of Everything is a powerful coming-of-age story that heralds the end of childhood and the loss of innocence. The story is narrated by 13-year-old Lizzie, a confused adolescent struggling with her budding sexuality. Her best friend Evie is spirited away one day by a man in a Buick Skylark, and Lizzie is left with the task of trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle in regards to her friend's disappearance. As she delves further and further into her investigation, Lizzie discovers that her best friend may not be who she seemed to be.

I really wasn't sure what to think of this book after I finished it. The first few chapters of The End of Everything drove me batty. The overly-nostalgic tone of the novel and rough first-person narrative was almost enough to make me put it down, but then the plot line started to pick up and from there on in, I was completely engrossed and able to forgive the author for the first few chapters.

Midway through the novel, I was struck by the similarities between The End of Everything and The Lovely Bones, but then the author takes the reader to some place dark and twisted towards the end of the novel. It's a powerfully disturbing book with vibrant characters and lots of emotion that will keep you thinking long after the last page of the book has been turned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Everything.