Monk's Reviews > Girl Genius, Vol. 1: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank

Girl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil Foglio

Sep 28, 08

bookshelves: graphicnovel, world_builders
Read in September, 2008

I heard a lot of good things about this book recently so I decided to pick it up and give it a look. It's steampunk fiction, so it had a lot going for it at the time of it's purchase while in New York City. I got it back to where I was staying and cracked cover before going to bed. I got halfway through before resigning myself to sleep. That was two weeks ago. I finished it last night.

It was okay. It has some good elements to it. It's steampunk, so it had a head start, and it's also got some pretty funny moments to it as well (the Jaegermonsters are pretty amusing what with their look and their accents). Overall, something tells me the story gets better as things progress, but the progression was very slow.

I don't know if I'll keep picking up the graphic novels or not. I can read it for free I believe as it's a webcomic primarily I think, and I tend to really only buy the novels for books I'm more enthusiastic about. We'll see how it turns out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Genius, Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel This is one of my favorite (web)comics. It is gorgeous, and yes, the story does move a lot faster, and get a whole hell of a lot better (if more confusing). If I had only read the beginning, I would never be as avid a fan as I am. As it is, I am searching for a hardcover edition to buy, sadly they only offer paperback on their website/amazon/etc., so I am without much hope. Do continue reading this series, because as far as I've seen, it only keeps getting better and better!