Kellie's Reviews > Digging to America

Digging to America by Anne Tyler

Sep 25, 08

bookshelves: 2007-reads

I think I was a bit misled as to exactly what this book was about. I thought it was going to be about 2 families who adopt Korean girls with the focus on the girls and how they adapt to life with their new families in America. The focus is on the families but I was surprised the protagonist is one of the grandmothers. It still made for a good book. I have read several other Tyler books and I get the impression that Anne enjoys researching various cultures. In this one, you get a little bit of Korean culture and a good bit of Iranian and one of Anne’s other books (The Amateur Marriage) is about a Polish family. This book seems to revolve around all the parties these 2 families have, especially the ones to celebrate the anniversary of the day of the girls arrival which seemed a bit anomalous. There were some definite flaws in this book, compared to others I have read. It tended to drag a little in certain areas and there were other parts of the book I didn’t think were relevant to the main plot. I did think the ending was a perfect way to come full circle, however. Not one of my favorites, but I would still recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Digging to America.