Any Length's Reviews > Red Leaves

F 50x66
May 28, 2012

did not like it
Read from May 28 to June 04, 2012

This is one of the worst books I have read in a while. It was interminably boring, the characters were all exceedingly unlikable and annoying. The book was full of contradictions.
I'm awarding the author an extra bad credit for having the protagonist feed cake containing chocolate to her dog not once but twice!!! Chocolate is highly toxic and people like this author ought to be held criminally negligent for perpetuating the idea that this practice is ok.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Leaves.

Brent Not sure if the chocolate thing is true (yes I know it is a popularly held conception) but the rest is (true).

message 2: by Any (new) - rated it 1 star

Any Length Brent wrote: "Not sure if the chocolate thing is true (yes I know it is a popularly held conception) but the rest is (true)."

Educate yourself before you question the truth:

Also poisonous to dogs: Onion ( gives them aniemia), grapes, sultanas, any type of fruit cake because of the sultanas, etc.
Poisonous to ( Kidney faliure - can be within half an hour!!!!) cats: asprin!!!! ( stuffs their liver in a short time)

Brent Per the reference you cite, "Large breeds (> 100 pounds / 45 kilograms) can safely consume chocolate in limited quantities, but care must still be taken, as they can safely eat only about a quarter the amount a human can, and should not be intentionally fed it".
I don't care to review that boring novel again but I do remember her dog is a large breed and she fed it morsels. My dog got into a full pint of chocolate ice cream and didn't have any symptoms. So I question the "highly toxic" comment you made. To me, highly toxic means a low LD50 (lethal dose at which 50% of specimens survive). I think I may be sort of educated (MD in 1 year).

Thanks.

message 4: by Any (new) - rated it 1 star

Any Length The point is that as an author she has a responsibillity not to encourage the feeding of chocolate to dogs by writing about it in her novels when it is widely known that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Stupid people read those novels and then go and bake a chocolate cake for their dogs as a birthday present and kill the poor beast with their misguided love. The ASPCA and other animal protection agencies as well as vets try desperately each year to prevent dogs dying from easter chocolates left lying around by dog owners. And that is why I chided the author.
Large bread or not, the pure mentioning of feeding chocolate to dogs is irresponsible.
I did not call you uneducated. I said you weren't educated about the effects of chocolate on dogs and wrote in your post a clear disbelief in the fact. All you needed to do was run your search engine on dogs and chocolate and you would not have perpetuated an untruth.