Heather's Reviews > Seahorses

Seahorses by Twig C. George

Sep 24, 08

bookshelves: for-the-little-ones, science
Read in September, 2008

The photos in this book are fantastic. Really incredible. And they're labeled!!! Always a big plus but you'd be surprised how many science books don't label the animals. There's even a photo of a male seahorse giving birth. Cool.

The text is very basic and talks to you as if you were a seahorse. It's a little contrived, but my kids didn't care. I did.

The thing that really bugged though was this, "Long ago it evolved from a fin to a monkey-like tail." And "For forty million years this has worked well for seahorses."

Now before you think I'm a creationist looney let me explain. We talk about evolution. My kids have a pretty good understanding of it. But we also believe that the world and all things in it were created by God. I prefer to read books that don't throw evolution out there as fact. As far as I'm concerned it's theory. And I don't know where I stand in relation to the age of the earth. There are so many opinions out there that I'm still working on it. And I think a lot of scientists are too!

When we came across this text we used it as a discussion point. But I prefer to find books without if possible. I'm not sure, for that reason, if we'd use this book again. The photos are fantastic. But the text wasn't and neither were the passages referenced above. I'd consider using it for the pictures only if I were sure the older boys wouldn't pick it up and read it. But they would so I'm still trying to decide if it's a repeat or not.

Man, this review is longer than the book!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seahorses.