Jill's Reviews > The Janus Affair

3820197
Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-pnr-sci-fi-romance
Read in June, 2012

Wellington Books and Eliza Braun are thrown into the middle of a mystery when a woman that Eliza has briefly met, disappears in a ball of lightning before their very eyes.

This is the second novel in the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series with Books and Braun. Wellington (Welly) Books, university graduate, former army officer, inventor and brilliant mind pairs wonderfully with the intrepid feminist and (former) field agent Eliza Braun. Welly, Archivist and Eliza, now an archivist-in-training to the experienced Books, stumble across a number of unsolved cases of women who have all disappeared in a flash of light and are all connected to the suffragist movement.

When Kate Sheppard, old friend and leader of the suffrage movement in New Zealand makes a reappearance in her life, Eliza is determined to solve the mystery of the disappearing suffragists. At the same time Eliza's first love, adventurer and explorer Douglas Sheppard and Kate's son, wants to reignite their affair, prompting Welly to wonder exactly what Eliza means to him.

The romantic elements in this series are very light. Welly and Eliza's friendship and partnership promises a little more in the way of a romance, as there is a deepening of the relationship in The Janus Affair. This is an excellent series for fans of steampunk mysteries with two wonderfully crafted and likable protagonists in a descriptive and imaginative steampunk world.

Steam: 1.5

ARC courtesy Harper Voyager via Edelweiss

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Janus Affair.

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie This looks interesting, Jill.

Jill I really enjoyed the first in the series, Leslie - Phoenix Rising. It's steampunk + adventure + mystery with very light romantic elements. The potential's there for more. I'm hoping the romance develops a little more in this one.

message 3: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Love your review Jilly! I've not read steampunk and this sounds interesting. May have to give this series a try.

Jill Thanks KatLynne! Of all the 'alternate' realities like vampires, sci-fi, etc, steampunk is my favourite. This is imo one of the best steampunk worlds. The only way it could be better is a little more romance between the protags! But it seems to be heading in that direction.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Nice review Jill! Looking forward to reading,I have book 1 book 2 isnt here yet.:(

Jill Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Nice review Jill! Looking forward to reading,I have book 1 book 2 isnt here yet.:("

Hi Sandi and thanks! Really hope you enjoy this series. In my opinion one of the best steampunk series. Great world-building, wonderful mysteries, and fun relationship between the H/h. A bit light on the romance, but then again that makes for a nice change.

Hope book #2 arrives soon. Are you waiting for it to arrive before starting book #1?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Jill wrote: "Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Nice review Jill! Looking forward to reading,I have book 1 book 2 isnt here yet.:("

Yes,its a thing with me I have to have at least book 1&2 to read before, I decide if I want to continue.This looks so good though.

Jill Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Jill wrote: "Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Nice review Jill! Looking forward to reading,I have book 1 book 2 isnt here yet.:("

Hi Sandi and thanks! Really hope you enjoy this series. In my op..."

Fair enough. And in that case I really hope book #2 arrives soon! I want to know what you think about this series. Look forward to your thoughts, Sandi!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Yeah, not my world, Jill, but great review!

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Baba wrote: "Yeah, not my world, Jill, but great review!"

Hmmmm, I remember your saying that about historicals. Lol!
Nah, you're right, I don't think this one's for you but thanks for liking and reading anyway, Baba.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth I'm just starting Phoenix Rising, looking forward to getting into this book as well. I'm loving steampunk.

message 12: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Elizabeth wrote: "I'm just starting Phoenix Rising, looking forward to getting into this book as well. I'm loving steampunk."

I love steampunk as well, Elizabeth! I'm going to send you a couple of recommendations.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Awesomeness!!!!! I know you already looked at my review of Heart of Brass, but I think you would like that one as well.

Claudia Good review Jill and I would be grateful if you could send me some recommendations for steampunk too

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Claudia wrote: "Good review Jill and I would be grateful if you could send me some recommendations for steampunk too"

No problem, Claudia I'll send you a PM. :)

Claudia Jill wrote: "Claudia wrote: "Good review Jill and I would be grateful if you could send me some recommendations for steampunk too"

No problem, Claudia I'll send you a PM. :)"

Thanks for the recs. I liked this one a lot more than the first book

message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Claudia wrote: "Jill wrote: "Claudia wrote: "Good review Jill and I would be grateful if you could send me some recommendations for steampunk too"

No problem, Claudia I'll send you a PM. :)"

Thanks for the recs...."

So did I!
And you're welcome, Claudia!