Andy's Reviews > The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby

Sep 24, 2008

bookshelves: american-nightmare
Recommended for: Sixties fans
Read in October, 1996 , read count: 500

Sorry, all you Hunter S. Thompson fans, but Tom Wolfe revolutionized journalism in the Sixties and didn't need biker colors or mescaline to accomplish the task. His first book (a compilation of articles for Esquire and others) is a brilliant assessment of pop culture (i.e. hot rod shows, fashion designers, Phil Spector, etc.) that captures the times beautifully. I also really like his crazy sketches of street life in New York, complete with hair style portraits. Mad props to Mr. Wolfe!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby.

07/20/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Arek (new)

Arek Sprycha Dr Thompson once mentioned that Mr Wolfe is a magnificent journalist, but on the other hand a dull person. Personally I never read anything. by Tom Wolfe, is this book a good start (I like reading about America in the 60), or would you recommend something else for a HST fan?

Andy Kandy Kolored is a good place to start, and then after that Pump House Gang. Both books are a lot of fun to read.

Stacy Crete I would point you to "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test ". I found it more interesting than "kandy Kolored". All good stuff IMO.