christopher's Reviews > The Loom of Ruin

The Loom of Ruin by Sam McPheeters

M 50x66
May 27, 12

This novel is really entertaining and hilarious, but I don't know if I would call it good. It's more a collection of quirky, but not deeply developed characters trapped in a web of distant connections and coincidences than an actual novel. I like Sam McPheeters' writing in general and was looking forward to this book for awhile, but thought he could have done better. It's a quick read and it's hilarious, so I guess I would recommend reading it, but I was hoping for something with more depth. The one thing I did really like about this book was the setting. It's the one book I know where it's set entirely in "non places" like gas stations, freeways, and corporate offices and it conveys the empty and plastic feel of these places without really beating the reader over the head with it either. Other novels I've read have tried and failed at this. Looking forward to McPheeters next novel and his new general interest magazine that he's editing called Exploded View which is due out in the fall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Loom of Ruin.