Jen's Reviews > One Crazy Summer

One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia

May 27, 12

Read in May, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This book is amazing. I saw it somewhere while I was writing a paper for school and thought it might be good to read and put it on a list. I told my daughter(who is ten) about it, and how I thought it might be good to read ...someday. I rarely get to buy books, and when I do, they are used.

Well, months later she has a bookfair at her school and had been saving her money secretly for it. She brings it home to me for Mother's Day. I cried.

I finally got to finish the book and it is amazing. I feel completely that every mother and daughter must read it. Along with anyone who has ever been a sister. Oldest daughters. Or, anyone, really. I hop all three of our children read this.

The heroine is Delphine. An 11 year old who is visiting her mother for the first time in six years for the summer. She has two younger sisters who she has had to play mother to. From the first few pages, you start to develop all of these questions and they are all answered eventually. The great thing about this story is that you just really don't read anything like this usually. Because of this, you really feel it could go in any direction.. so you don't stop rooting for the girls as you would in a more formulaic story.

I am 32 and I just loved it. Immediately hoping to share the book. I think it is a great one to introduce difficult topics to children who would not otherwise have first hand experience. I imagine that many questions will arise because of this book.

Spoiler...
One thing I might have liked to see changed, or would have wondered why the Author didn't do it differently was how Nzila's mother died. I guess it is better to not get too graphic with that since it is a tween sort of a book... but I would have thought that maybe she lost her to a hate crime, considering her dedication to the Panthers. I guess it is best left up to the readers to guess at since it was said she was killed by car crash(If I remember correctly).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Crazy Summer.