Emily's Reviews > Dragondrums

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from May 27 to June 11, 2012

Yikes.

I was not a fan of this book. First of all, though it's the third in the Harper Hall series, it's not about Menolly as the first two are. It's about, of all people, Piemur. "Gee whiz" rascally young Piemur, who runs about and talks about adventures that we never see and whines constantly because HE wants a fire lizard and life isn't fair. Everyone either chuckles at him for being such a silly goose or shakes their fist at what a scamp he is. *rolls eyes*

Not only that, but the "story", if it can even be called a story, is so anticlimactic that it's a wonder she manages to stretch this book to the length she has. Maybe it's because there are three entire chapters devoted to the alternating activities of walking, eating orange fruit, building a fire, fishing, and sleeping. And more walking, and more carving of fishing materials, and more musing about traveling, and more sleeping. -__-

This story is set after the Oldtimers have been banished to the Southern Weyr, when there start to be some rumors floating around that they aren't staying where they are supposed to. And so that's what this story is about. The rumors of minor ill-doings regarding cloth trading and how Piemur becomes a SPY to find out all about this riveting ordeal.

This isn't a spoiler because you already know this is happening. This has been talked about and lead to MUCH more interesting things in other books.

Oh, and we learn that stealing is okay as long as you steal from someone you don't like very much. Oh, that rascally Piemur!

Worst book in the Pern series so far. I have much higher hopes for the others but if this is the turn they are taking...

Oh, and she really needs to learn another word to describe the sounds of dragons/fire lizards other than "piteous". All these stupid fire lizards do is shriek at everyone, scolding them, or whine "piteously" for attention or food. We never, ever see fire lizards show care or companionship unless they get something out of it -- food or attention. If she wanted to make us believe there is some connection when you Impress a fire lizard and it's like having a dragon, she should have made them at least slightly likeable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragondrums.

06/03/2012 page 80