Blair's Reviews > Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream

Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger

May 27, 12

Read in May, 2012

This was my third reading of this book. The first time I read it was my senior year in high school, about 10 years after the events in the book took place. The second time was a several years later in anticipation for the movie. This time was a little different because I was reading through the lens of an English teacher. I still like the book. I still like the story and I still like the fact that despite the outcry, Bessinger stood behind his account of the 1988 Permian Panthers football season. I do not know how much sensationalizing he did (he was accused of a great deal of it), but truth is sometimes hard for us to swallow. Fact or fiction, in my opinion, is not really the issue. The issue for me is that there are some important themes that are still relevant 24 years later. Race and education are the primary ones, but there are many others to consider. There is some strong language in the book, but it is no worse than a Rated R movie, and for the most part, is used within a specific content.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friday Night Lights.