Jonathan Mcguire's Reviews > The Landmark Thucydides: A Comprehensive Guide to the Peloponnesian War

The Landmark Thucydides by Thucydides

Jul 05, 12

Read in September, 2001

I'm a fan of military history and history of the classical Greek era because of its relevance to much of what we see and face in the modern era. This particular text fit the bill because of when I found and read it. The week after the events of Sept. 11, 2001, I read a review of this book in an email from an old listserv discussion group I had been tangentially involved with. The following day, I found it in a local library and began reading it. I had never before seen a single volume with such supporting detail and helpful illustration. Even the casual reader would get sucked in to the story that Thucydides tells about the war that was essentially about the soul of ancient Greece and ultimately about the path of modern democracy.

This was Robert B. Strassler's first foray into the classics and if you like this book, you will need to investigate Strassler. It is fair to consider him as a lay historian with an engineer's eye for detail and a Romantic's eye for narrative.

So far, I've read all of the books published in the "Landmark" series. All are outstanding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Landmark Thucydides.