Auntee's Reviews > Second Chance Pass

Jan 20, 09

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, 2009_reads, made_me_cry
Recommended for: Fans of the series; fans of Contemporary romance
Read in January, 2009

Whew! I loved it, just as I knew I would. This latest in the 'Virgin River' series had a lot going on. There were at least three new romances, as well as updates on some longer standing ones, a couple of very touching births, a couple of near tragic deaths of some major characters, a funeral, lots of heartbreak, lots of happiness, a joyous wedding, and even a forrest fire that came close to destroying the town and taking the life of one of it's leading citizens. Something was always happening in tiny Virgin River.

Although this book was mainly about the love between newly widowed Vanessa Rutledge and best friend of her late husband, Paul Haggerty, I think almost equal time was given to well-known characters from the previous books in the series, especially Mel and Jack Sheridan (who was like a superhero in this book). Which was fine with me. I love revisiting the lives of Mel and Jack. I love reading about their inspiring love story, their commitment to one another and their family, and their commitment to the town of Virgin River. I also found Jack's relationship with young Rick, a boy he's mentored for a few years, very touching. We also get a glimpse again into the lives of Preacher and Paige, Mike and Brie, and young Marine Rick and Liz, as well as watch new relationships develop for fellow Marine Joe, Vanessa's father Walt, and her teenage brother Tom. Lots of lovin' goin' on in tiny Virgin River.

I loved the story of newly widowed Vanni, whose husband Matt died tragically in Iraq, and how she was able to stay strong even though she was left with a newborn to raise. Loved the friendship she had with Matt's best friend and former Marine buddy Paul, who had loved her from the minute he first set eyes on her years ago, but was reluctant to fight for her. I did not like how Paul almost blew a chance for happiness with Vanni, and let her almost get stolen away from him by a handsome pediatrician. I was very relieved when he finally got up the gumption (helped along by some advice from his friends) to reveal his long standing feelings for Vanni, and even liked how he went all dominant on her--it was just what the hot-tempered and stubborn Vanni needed. While their love affair was not without a few bumps along the way (including the possibility that he may have fathered a child by another woman) you could feel the love and obvious connection that these two characters had. I especially loved Paul--he was just such an honorable, all-around good guy, and I really wanted him to have a HEA.

As far as the subplots, there was some hot moments for teenage Tom Rutledge and girlfriend Brenda, and I'm sure we'll be reading more about them once Tom graduates from West Point, and moves on to a career in the military. Will these young lovers be able to stay together, even though Tom's military path is sure to keep them apart?

I also loved the plot about Paul's achitect friend Joe. Joe's the last of the Marine buddies who's still single, and he finds his possible soulmate in Virgin River. But after a wildly passionate night together, she disappears, breaking his heart. I was just heartbroken for this guy--he didn't deserve that kind of treatment. But by the end of the book, things look like they finally may be turning around for him, which made me very happy. Hopefully there will be more for him in a future book.

Even Vanessa's father, widowed Army General Walt, finds a surprising new love interest. Although his story is left open-ended, I'm sure his budding romance will appear in a future book.

What more can I say without giving away some spoilers? If you love the Virgin River series you'll adore this book. The characters are beautifully written, you feel like you've known them all your life. The writing is so descriptive, you feel like you can see Jack's Bar right in front of your eyes, down to the mounted trophies on the wall. You know the characters so well, their hurts become your hurts, and bring tears to your eyes. And their joys become your joys, and you'll cry for them as well. There were many times while reading this book that I just had to put it down for a while, because I was tearing up so much. If you haven't read any books in the series, I suppose this book could be read as a stand alone, but please, don't do that to yourself. Start with the first book in the series, Virgin River, you'll want to inhale every factoid about this tiny California town and the awesome men who treat their women like queens, and the brave, spunky women who adore them. Although the heat factor in this book isn't real high in quantity compared to some other books, the few love scenes are hot, and the romance makes up for the rest. I think this is one of the best contemporary romance series out there, and I hope Robyn Carr never stops writing about the men and women of Virgin River. I highly recommend this book and the entire series, and give it a big 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Chance Pass.

01/17/2009 page 1
01/18/2009 page 120
30.85% "It's nice to be back in Virgin River..." 7 comments
01/18/2009 page 215
55.27% "Lots going on in this one...there's at least three romances and two pregnancies so far..." 1 comment
01/19/2009 page 267
68.64% "Wow. Big tear-jerker scene that I didn't see coming..." 1 comment
01/19/2009 page 317
81.49% "I need to take a break...too many teary scenes..."
01/19/2009 page 363
93.32% "God, there's a lot going on in this book..."
01/19/2009 page 389
100.0% "Review to follow..."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathrynn This is out? Where did you find it?

Auntee Can you believe it--I found it at Borders yesterday! I certainly wasn't expecting it. I was looking for KISS OF A DEMON KING (found it) and also found Lori Foster's latest. It was a good shopping day!:)

Kathrynn Yes, sounds like it was a good shopping day. Very cool. ;-)

Christa Auntee, I can't wait to read this one! I have checked everywhere in town that has books and no one here has put it out early yet. It sounds wonderful!

Auntee Christa--have you read the rest of the series?
This one was awesome--I didn't want it to end!:)

I guess it's not supposed to be out until next month--I definitely got lucky finding it early.

Kathrynn Can't wait to get this one. I checked at B&N today and they said it's not due out until February. Okay. ;-) I'll keep checking back, though. Glad you enjoyed it.

jenjn79 I checked Borders and a different B&N today, but no luck. The only book on my list of 5 soon-to-be-released books I got was LFs next Fighter book. I'll have to try again next weekend for the others.

Glad this one was good! Can't wait to read it!

Christa Auntee, I have read the four previous Virgin River books, and I loved them all.

message 9: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae Great review, Auntee!

Auntee Kathrynn & Isis--I think it was just a fluke that I was able to find it--this particular Borders is usually not good about getting the new ones on the shelves.

Christa--This will be right up your alley then!

Thanks Daisie!

message 11: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Wonderful review Auntee! I can't wait to read it!

message 12: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz I'm thinking I should give book 2 a second chance after reading your review Auntee :) Everyone seems to like this series but me :-/

Auntee Did you stop at "Shelter Mountain", East?

You know, if you don't like it you don't like it--these things can't be forced.:) Some characters just rub us the wrong way, ya know?

message 14: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz I only read VIRGIN RIVER and I hated the hokey feel to it what with all those pregnant women and the quaint little town--just too syrupy for me.

Auntee Okay, maybe it's best that you stay away from this one! lol!

♡Karlyn P♡ OMG, I am going to Borders on my lunch break! I discovered this series late last summer and just fell in love with Robyn Carr's writing. The series reminds me of a really good night-time soap show with lots of repeating favorite characters and new fresh romance material in each book.

Auntee I hope you're able to find it, KarLyn--you're right--it is like a soap (only better)!

A word about this one--just when you think everything is all settled (after Vanni and Paul's story winds down) and only half the book is done--it suddenly explodes, and a LOT more happens!:D

jenjn79 Geez! You're torturing me, Auntee!

I tried for this one at Waldenbooks today, no dice. You got really lucky finding this one so early!

Auntee I'm sorry!:) But look at what you have to look forward to! I've got to wait until the end of February for the next one.:(

BTW, I just read the synopsis for the one coming out at the end of March (it sounds like it's going to be a real tear-jerker).

Isis, I'd send a copy to you, but you know how fast that one-legged mule is! You could probably drive over here and it would be quicker. What do you think, up for an 11 hr. round trip?:)

jenjn79 LOL! True, you do have to wait longer for the next one. Who is it about? I haven't read the synopsis...or maybe a did a while back...don't remember.

It would depend on if it went First Class or Media Rate on how long it would take to get here. First Class would probably only be a couple days, but Media Rate is usually at least a week, maybe 2 depending on how far it has to go. I always hope when I mail things through PBS the book makes it into First Class range as the cheapest. Then I get credit quicker ;)

♡Karlyn P♡ Dang, didn't find it at Borders. I know Walmart occasionally displayed books early too, so I may try there next! I would love to read it this weekend.

Auntee Darn, that book has got to be somewhere else besides my lousy little Borders!

jenjn79 I've tried everywhere - 2 B&Ns, Borders, Waldenbooks, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Target. I think you just got super lucky, Auntee!

Auntee I know I did--and believe me, that rarely happens!:)

♡Karlyn P♡ Woooohoooo! I found it last night at Barnes & Nobles. I just wish I had more free time this weekend to read it, but I'll find some time for sure.

Auntee Yea! Good for you KarLyn! Maybe they bumped up the release date!:)

Auntee Okay, I just checked B&N's online site, and the book is showing up 'available' at my local B&N, so go get 'em girls!

message 28: by librarygirl (new) - added it

librarygirl I'm so glad I read your review! I got this book in my Harlequin book club box and was hoping I could read it as a stand alone. I guess I'd better order book one! Great review, I look forward to the series!

Auntee Oh yes, definitely try "Virgin River" first. The one book in the series that could be read as a stand-alone is "Virgin River Christmas" (I think that's the title.:)