Becky's Reviews > Song of Susannah

Song of Susannah by Stephen King

May 27, 12

Read in May, 2012

Sooooo....things start getting weird again in this book - I'm really hoping the seventh book of the series is able to make all of this connect and help me understand the necessity of the weirdness, but I'm doubtful.

First - Susannah's multiple personalities are getting really old. I'm tired of all of them, and sometimes of Susannah herself. She is my least favorite character in the series, and so understandably, I'm less than thrilled that this book has a lot of focus on her.

Also, I find it cool and a bit egotistical that King wrote himself into the plot of the book (literally, wrote himself in) and has written himself in as one of the prophets of Gan (God) and one who protects one of the Beams (that support the Dark Tower). He is self-deprecating, which is nice, but he also really starts to take over the book and become a central figure in it. I thought that was a little much - I was fine with the idea of him writing about himself literally writing the characters, but then the whole "protector of the Beam" thing was a little goofy.

Also, what was with the incantations at the end of the chapters? Annoying.

I'm still looking forward to the seventh book, although I have a feeling something bad is going to happen to Jake (who is my favorite character).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of Susannah.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn I finished this book last night, and I have the same exact feelings as you do on this book. Susannah is my least favorite. Read my review to find out why, if you want to.

And the part about King to me was cool yet pompous at the same time. I'm having a hard time figuring out if I think it is brilliant or ridiculous. haha