Sheila's Reviews > Wired

Wired by Douglas E. Richards

2039269
May 27, 12

bookshelves: current_issues, mystery, scifi-fantasy, suspense
Read in May, 2012

A fascinating blend of thrilling action, intriguing mystery, and curious ethical dilemmas, Douglas E. Richards’ Wired pits a retired Special Forces operative against a brilliant beautiful scientist in a battle for the future of the world. There’s just enough scientific explanation to keep the reader interested, even if not always convinced; just enough ethics and faith to keep you furiously asking questions; plenty of action to keep those pages turning through the night; and more than enough twists and turns to satisfy the most discerning mystery-thriller devotee. There’s also a slightly off-kilter prolog and some slightly odd descriptions, but the story was enough to carry me through and I was quickly hooked.

Kira Miller’s past is littered with skeletons. She’s fled the scene of too many crimes, and she’s implicated in more. With terrorist threats, super-intelligence, and the secret of eternal life on the line, David Desh knows he’ll have to find and catch her, soon. But David’s skeletons are his own butchered team, betrayed and left in Iran. Like everyone else, he’s a wounded character in search of his own healing as he strives to save the world.

The story raises some truly fascinating questions. Will intelligence pills make everyone a genius or just amplify the skills already learned? Will knowing too much turn the wise into sociopaths? Will ultimate knowledge turn mortals into gods? The questions are huge, the characters pleasingly flawed, the bad guys and good guys convincingly hard to tell apart, and the action thoroughly exciting. Add a wholly satisfying conclusion that answers and adds to all the readers’ questions, and you have an excellent sci-fi action thriller for the new century. I really enjoyed it.

Disclosure: I won a free ecopy of this novel. Lucky me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wired.