Teri's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

May 27, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Riveting... I couldn't put it down. Alina's story caught my attention from the first sentence, and I didn't put it down until three in the morning when I finished the last word. I'll definitely buy the next one.

A simple cartographer with no aspirations for power, Alina lands on her feet when she's unexpectedly torn from her best friend, Mal along with the simple life she's known and put on a pedestal within the king's superficial court. She handles the machinations of the different factions within the Grisha and palace with spirit and self-assurance.

Despite the unfamiliarity of her new world, she has the spunk to stand up for herself, and the backbone to fight for what she believes in.While she stumbles a few times, she picks herself back up, and keeps going. It doesn't take Alina long to discover there are worse things than death, and monsters more terrifying than the flesh-eating volcra she encounters in the unsea.

I love the way Leigh keeps the reader eager to find out what's going to happen between Mal and Alina even though they're apart for a good majority of the book. The Darkling's attraction to Alina heightens the tension, Genya's friendship gives the story an edge of reality, while the creepy Apparat's interest in Alina and her powers keeps the reader on their toes. The combined elements propel the plot forward at a furious pace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.