Ellen's Reviews > A Red Herring Without Mustard

A Red Herring Without Mustard
~Bantam
(79)
Welcome to the wonderful world of Flavia de Luce, May 27, 2012
By Ellen Rappaport (Florida)
This review is from: A Red Herring Without Mustard: A Flavia de Luce Novel (Flavia de Luce Mysteries) (Paperback)
When an author writes their first book in a new series and it turns out to be a world wide success one wonders if that author's next books can continue on that same level. Evidently this author, Alan Bradley, has attained what others have strived for and failed...he has surpassed the highest expectations imaginable. This third and the latesdt in the Flavia de Luce series is, in my opinion, the best yet.

We begin our third journey with Flavia riding in a gypsy caravan with Fenella Faa. The very gypsy Mrs. Bull reported to have stolen her baby years ago. Flavia finds herself embroiled in a mystery surrounding this Gypsy woman and intends to leave no crystal ball unturned until she unravels the truth.

Shortly thereafter Flavia finds Fenella beaten to a bloody mess and assists in notifying the authorities in time to save her. That's when Fenella's grand-daughter, Porcelaine comes into flavia's life. Their relationship takes on a life of its own due to Porcelaine taking the reins and Flavia losing the control she thought she had established between them.

Ophelia (Feely) and Daphne (Daffy), Flavias's two wicked sisters continue to menace Flavia in the most insidious ways. Unfortunately, their father remains engrossed in his stamp collection. This enables him to block the reality that their home ia slipping through his fingers. Buckshaw may not be their home much longer and the harshness of losing their home is hitting Flavia where it hurts most...in her heart.
Vanetta Harewood (Brookie Harewood's Mother)reveals to Flavia a painting requested and paid for by her late Mother, Harriet. It was to be a surprise for her Father but has remained with Vanetta since Harriets untimely death. Flavia knows she must bring this painting to her Father and home to Buckshaw in order to fulfill her Mother's wishes.

The author weaves so many relationships together and brings us to another level on those already established. Some feelings between Feely & Daffy towards Flavia appear to be changing. I also feel that the author may be shedding some light on the Father's relationship with Harriet during their marriage in the next installment.

I am not going to delve into everything in this overwhelmingly wonderful book but just to say I love Flavia and thank you to author for bringing us into Flavia's world.

A MUST read for any lover of mysteries.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Red Herring Without Mustard.