Twiggy's Reviews > Katie's Hellion

U 50x66
May 31, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, magical, urban-fantasy
Read in May, 2012

This was a free down load on Amazon and I'm not quite sure what I made of it.

The story has been outlined by other reviewers with Katie finding herself as Toby's "mum' one day out of the blue. It turns out that he's really a cuckoo in the nest aka at 40,000 year old angel, who's still a precocious kid. This then leads on to Katie discovering the world of the Ancients and the leader of the ancients Kris, thinks that she's his destined mate. She gets kidnapped, taken to hell and whilst there is told by the other inmates (including Rhyn) that they will drink her blood, rape her and that the only thing to debate is how much they hurt her - yes they are a truly charming lot.
Sasha then attacks her ripping her throat to pieces and also it seems sexually assaults her. she is magically healed and then escapes with the help of Rhyn who then kidnaps her, drinks her blood and claims her with a magical tattoo of his name really obviously around her neck.
Things go from bad to worse and to heal Rhyn, she lets him drink her blood, and he mangles her arm beyond recognition. He takes her to a sanctuary for healing to save her life.
She then casts her lot in with the ancients in the fight for good against evil.

There was a good idea in the middle of all this. One of the main problems was the lack of exposition. The world building was incomplete, there were really big jumps in the story ie how/why did Andre get killed; why do all the ancients drink human blood; why does she fall for Rhyn

Katie takes everything too much in her stride. The attack by Sasha is brushed over and has no lasting effect. The fact that she appears to have been repeatedly mutilated by having her neck torn apart and her fore arm totally mangled doesn't seem to bother her too much. Likewise the hideous tattoo around what's left of her neck, is treated with an amazing degree of sang froid. Personally, I would not have taken this well and I would be screaming for the plastic surgeon/ a magic cure etc and trying to get as far away from these monsters as possible. not offering my neck for further munchies and mutilation!

ambivilent
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Katie's Hellion.