Liz's Reviews > Desert Rice

Desert Rice by Angela  Scott

Jul 27, 12

bookshelves: different-books, ebooks, young-adult, reviewed, own
Read from July 24 to 27, 2012

The story follows Sam and her brother, Jacob, who are two children from West Virginia, who find themselves on the run after their Mother dies. Jacob insists that they leave their home immediately in case social services split them up. Jacob is the only person that Sam ever trusts so she quickly agrees and they take the family car and hit the road. From that moment on, they need to learn to fend for themselves but things quickly become difficult for them. They're running really low on money and with no where to live, apart from their car, Sam is afraid that they won't last much longer.

So she starts to take matters into her own hands. Soon she is a skilled thief, stealing food and wallets at whatever chance she can get while Jacob is desperately trying to keep Sam safe and provide for her at the same time. To ensure that Sam is well protected, Jacob cuts her hair off and makes her wear boy's clothes so that she can escape any unwanted attention from males. Sam isn't pleased with this so it just adds onto her fowl mood. Jacob soon gets sick and Sam has no choice but to go looking for work herself. With only one adult she can trust in her life, she calls up Boone, hoping that he can help save Jacob. From that moment on, the truth begins to pour out about what happened to their Mother and Sam is forced to deal with the shocking truth.

I really, really enjoyed this story. It's completely different from my usual flow of book genres but I loved it all the same. I previously read another one of Angela's works, Wanted: Dead or Undead. I thought that her writing was beautiful so I was very excited to get my hands on Desert Rice. I couldn't put it down. Right from the beginning, I was drawn in, dying to know what happens next. This was probably the quickest time it has ever taken me to read an eBook, I read the entire book in less than a day.

Sam was a very complicated character. All of the stuff she had to go through was horrible, and it was worse because of how young she is too. She's just twelve years old and her entire world had been ripped apart. The poor girl has to try and take care of herself, as well as her brother while still remaining in hiding from the police. And then to top it all off, we find out what happened to her when she was younger and you just really feel for her. She really is an incredible character. I adored Jacob too. He kind of annoyed me at the beginning but I grew to like him over time. I thought all of the sacrifices he made for Sam was beautiful. He really is an amazing brother.

The last few chapters were brilliant! I loved how the story unraveled when the truth came out. At that point I was more intrigued than ever. I thought the ending was perfect too. It just showed the sense of freedom that children are supposed to have. It was beautiful. I'm really excited to read the next book, Desert Flower and see where the story brings them next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desert Rice.