Jason's Reviews > Autumn: Disintegration

May 28, 12

bookshelves: read-2012, e-books
Read from May 27 to 28, 2012

3 Stars

As a huge David Moody fan and one that really loved the Autumn series that concluded the main story line at the end of book three, I went into this one with some trepidation and reservations as I could not see it living up to the quality of the trilogy. After reading this I can safely say that my initial concerns were spot on. At best, this story would have been better off being played out as additional POV's during the trilogy, rather than attempting to make a successful story on its own.

Unlike the trilogy, this book is less a character novel, and more of an action novel. This would be completely fine as it is a quality zombie book that is better than most on the market today. However, this is David Moody, and it is part of his Autumn world, where in this context, it is not on the same level. Unlike all other Moody novels that I have read, this book does not have any characters that I found to like, to root for, or at least to empathize with. The men of this story are shallow, selfish, and unlikeable.

This novel starts at a point just slightly after the world has completely fallen, and the dead now own our world. The cast of characters are a bunch of douche bag men, Webb, Jas, Harte, Driver, and Hollis, and a couple of uninspiring women as well. The plot is simple, survival in a world filled with the walking dead. Instead of trying to make a place for themselves, this cast of characters enjoys killing, dismembering, and even are violent amongst each other. I not only never cared about them, I actually disliked these pathetic people and wanted them all to die.

One great theme of this book that was not really explored to its potential was based around the question Should a predator or a prey ever be concerned about each other?

The writing is the best part of this book. Moody has such a fantastic flare and unique way of describing things...

"The group stood together in silence and watched the body as it waddled toward them. It's massively distended,
discolored belly hung heavy over the top of a pair of brown-stained leggings, little shock waves running up through its
saggy, curiously lumpy flesh with every ungainly step it took. Huge, pendulous breasts swung down like bags of grain,
almost reaching its waist, a tear in its shapeless T-shirt revealing dark-veined skin like blue cheese. For a moment no
one moved, everyone waiting for someone else to take the lead and dispatch the enormous cadaver..."

I am a huge fan of David Moody...The Autumn Trilogy and The Hater Trilogy should not be missed by horror lovers. This one is simply just ok.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autumn.

message 1: by Jo Anne (new)

Jo Anne B Moody should have stopped after the trilogy.

Anji I agree that I couldn't really relate to most of the characters in this book,with the exception of Hollis,who I felt had more to offer than the others. I would have preferred to have read more about Michael and Emma et al,but I can see that adding other elements to bring together in the final book is necessary.