jenjn79's Reviews > Ready (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #3)

Ready (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #3) by Lucy Monroe

Oct 16, 08

bookshelves: info-full, genre-romance-fiction, reviewed, 2008, z2008-july-dec, stars-4
Recommended to jenjn79 by: my GR friends
Read in October, 2008

This was my first book by Lucy Monroe, and I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit! The type of story she writes reminds me a bit of Christina Skye...a sort of cross between contemporary romance, and romantic suspense - in another words a romance with a solid, mildly suspenseful storyline to go along with it. Monroe is a bit more sexually explicit than Skye, though. Which makes the sex scenes more interesting to read!

The first of this trilogy focuses on former soldier-turned mercenary Joshua Watt, and fiction writer Lise Barton (both characters have a familial connections to previous characters used by Monroe). Lise and Joshua previously shared a passionate kiss, but it unnerved Lise and she ran. Now she's in trouble - someone is stalking her but she doesn't tell her family. When she plans to skip Thanksgiving together, her sister-in-law sends Joshua to bring her home. And Joshua then finds out how much trouble Lise is in. He's infuriated that someone would dare try to hurt her and he's determined to find the bastard and teach him a lesson he won't soon forget. Of course, if he gets to talk his way into Lise's bed in the process...well, he certainly wouldn't say no! But some blazing hot sex is all he thinks he can give her. He's not a family kind of guy. At least, that's what he always thought...

This was a fun book to read. I wouldn't say it's a LOVED IT, 5-star read, but a definite solid 4 stars. The characters are fantastic. And not just the H/H Lise and Joshua. The secondary (and future primary) characters are great as well. Monroe whets your whistle more than enough to make you want to read more of the series. And the sex is super hot! I wouldn't particularly qualify is as erotic-romance stuff, but it's definitely more explicit than your average romance novel.

The plot was pretty good as well. It's not as developed and all-encompassing as a pure romantic suspense, but it's got enough meat to make the store more interesting and about more than just the romance between the H/H.

All around, just an enjoyable book to read. I liked pretty much everything about it. And once I finished, I couldn't wait to start on the second book of the series, "Willing."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #3).

10/15/2008 page 202
68.01% "Great book so far!"
10/15/2008 page 320
100% "review coming soon!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Miss Kim I'm anxious to hear what you think. I loved this one! I'm started the Willing as soon as get thru my current book.

Ladiibbug Hi Isis ~

Glad you liked it, I've got this series moving quickly to the top of the TBR stack. Haven't read this author before.

I also have #1 Moon Awakening in LM's paranormal series, Children of the Moon.

Ladiibbug

jenjn79 Hi Ladiibbug...this was definitely a fun series to read! And I always enjoy finding new authors to read :)

I probably won't read her PR books, though, since I'm not much for paranormal romance.