Christina's Reviews > Little House on the Prairie

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Oct 23, 08

bookshelves: children-read-aloud
Read in October, 2008

We enjoyed reading this book, although not quite as much as we did Little House in the Big Woods. I can't quite put my finger on the differences between the two books other than to say that Big Woods was more concise and action-packed. Prairie, while highly engaging and not devoid of excitement and adventure, was slower-moving . . . and longer. This is definitely the longest book I've read with my kids (5 & 3) thus far. But they continued to ask for it night after night until we finished it. And as we were reading the last chapter, my daughter said, "Now we'll have to check out the next one from the library!"

I also have to say that I didn't always like the depiction of the Indians in the book, although of course it's simply from the point of view of white settlers. Still, I found myself editing out certain phrases and descriptive words that I found offensive. I plan to balance out this version of the Indians with The Birchbark House .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little House on the Prairie.