Rebecca's Reviews > Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year

Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott

F_50x66
May 27, 12

Read in May, 2012

I read this because I have a friend who is a single mother grappling with the massive task of raising a son by herself, without the input of the now-hostile father. I thought it might make a nice gift to send to her, but reading it, decided that it wouldn't. I appreciate the humor with which Lamott deals with her difficulties, and I also appreciate the fact that here at last is an outspoken liberal Christian (I'm not Christian. But it's always a relief to read something by someone who claims to be one and manages to avoid being sanctimonious about it.) But somehow it's all just a little too light for me, and doesn't really reflect what I see my friend going through. Also, this is really a book that can only be appreciated by people who a) are expecting a baby, b)have had a baby at some point, or c)like babies and anticipate having one sometime in the future. I don't fall into any of these categories, and if you don't either, you're likely to find this tedious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Operating Instructions.