Joseph McBee's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

May 27, 12

Read in May, 2012

Revelatory and potentially life-changing are the words that immediately spring to mind when I think about this book.

As I read THE POWER OF HABIT, I was astounded by the depth of insight the author has into the human condition. It is an insight based on exhaustive research and study of the experiments of top scientists all over the world. It was like every question I have ever asked about why I have trouble with laying aside bad habits and why I struggle with adopting new ones was laid out in front of me in a simple, matter-of-fact style that I could easily relate to.

The first three chapters alone are worth the price of the book, but the author gives you so much more it's like the remainder of the book is a gift.

I especially enjoyed the style of writing. The book is thick with descriptions of psychological and behavioral experiments but peppered so liberally with fascinating stories that you find the scientific elements absolutely enthralling.

When I finished this book I felt...well...empowered actually. I have already begun to apply the concepts I learned from reading it and have already started to see positive results.

If nothing else, THE POWER OF HABIT leaves you feeling hopeful. You are convinced that you can make positive changes both to your own life and your business and those changes are completely within your grasp.

This is no pop psychology self-help nonsense. This is the author exposing, prodding and examining the human condition and in that exposure, the reader finds hope and practical tools for making serious changes to his or her life and work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.