Amanda (Good Choice Reading)'s Reviews > The Lost Girl

The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna

Jul 18, 12

Read from May 27 to 28, 2012

4.5 Stars

I’m not sure if I can express my thoughts on The Lost Girl well enough to do it justice, but I’m going to give a shot.

Books mean something different to everyone. We all absorb stories differently, and I’m absolutely certain The Lost Girl will be no exception. There is a forbidden romance, potential enemies around every corner, a lot of angst, and a touch of dystopia. To some, I think it will be seen as nothing more than that. That in its self would have made it enjoyable for me.

I’ve lost a lot of people in my life to various illnesses, accidents, etc. I think this is why I connected so well with the story, and on a level deeper than casual enjoyment. The Lost Girl explores death and dealing with grief in a way that I’ve never come across. I had a hard time blaming anyone for their actions in this story, and that’s saying a lot because a few of them do and say some pretty awful things. But how can you really blame any of them? (Okay, I didn’t have a very hard time hating the Weavers) Some are dealing with the loss of Amarra, some are dealing with the loss of Eva, but they’re all hurting and Eva’s existence doesn’t really make any of that any easier. Not on Eva, and not on the people who loved Amarra.

The thing I loved most about The Lost Girl was Mandanna’s ability to balance all of the elements so well. The death is an important factor, but it isn’t romanticized and it doesn’t drag the story down. The characterization is fantastic. The concept—Weavers creating Echos—is fascinating. Would I recommend The Lost Girl? Absolutely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Oooo, really? I just got this! Okay, I'm bumping it up the pile. (And will return to read your review at a later date.) So glad to see you loved it, though!

Amanda (Good Choice Reading) Wendy Darling wrote: "Oooo, really? I just got this! Okay, I'm bumping it up the pile. (And will return to read your review at a later date.) So glad to see you loved it, though!"

Can't wait to hear what you think of this one!!

Wendy Darling Your review makes me want to read this book all over again, hah. It was amazing how she made us feel something for all the different characters, isn't it? Even the ones who make us angry.

I'm so glad I saw your rating and initial reaction. Thanks again, who knows how long it would have languished on the teetering pile if not for that!

Amanda (Good Choice Reading) I had SO much trouble putting my thoughts into words, and I don't think I accomplished it, haha. It's one of those books that I think people just have to experience for themselves. Although your review did do a damn good job of spelling it out.

You're welcome! I'm glad my review actually made a difference. :) Especially considering your review will make an even bigger difference, and maybe this will get the recognition it deserves!