Rebecca's Reviews > Princess Ben

Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Sep 24, 08

bookshelves: fairy-tales, bookclubpicks, favorites, fun, young-adult-fiction
Read in September, 2008

Wonderful! She's a princess, true, but she's also overweight, and more completely unprepared for her role than any princess I've come across. (You know, they all claim to be unfit to rule, but this one Really Is! I was actually hoping she didn't get the throne!) The most clever, unusual and unexpected mixing of fairy tales I've seen. I haven't finished a book this fast in a long time! And have not laughed and cried like I did for this one in many years. It was at least as good as The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. And that's saying a lot. =)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess Ben.

Quotes Rebecca Liked

Catherine Gilbert Murdock
“Every fairy tale, it seems, concludes with the bland phrase "happily ever after." Yet every couple I have ever known would agree that nothing about marriage is forever happy. There are moments of bliss, to be sure, and lengthy spans of satisfied companionship. Yet these come at no small effort, and the girl who reads such fiction dreaming her troubles will end ere she departs the altar is well advised to seek at once a rational women to set her straight.”
Catherine Gilbert Murdock, Princess Ben