Linda Parkinson-Hardman's Reviews > Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey by Michael Cargill

May 27, 12

Read in May, 2012

Since being given a Kindle for Christmas a couple of years ago I have found that my reading has become much broader and I was recently invited to read Michael's book of three short stories 'Shades of Grey' and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the stories as I had assumed that I 'never read that genre'. Each one of them invited me to look at the world with different eyes. However, the thing that impressed me the most was that the stories told me about the individual experience in a way that is little explored. I'm looking forward to my next outing with one of Michael's stories because I know it will give me an insight into a world I will probably never experience myself.

The first two were completely outside my comfort zone and introduced me to concepts and experiences I had never thought about before, my knowledge of the history of WWII being confined to that which is taught in school and never even considering what it might have been like to actually experience the day to day life of a simple solder. In shades of grey I was confronted by the inner mind of a hit man. For me the least of the three was the last story as it reminded me of the Chucky films (not that I've actually seen them!).

All together an excellent way to spend a few hours in the company of something unexpected and I'm very very much looking forward to enjoying more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Grey.