Sophey's Reviews > Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible

Sun Stand Still by Steven Furtick

May 27, 12

This book is basically "The Secret" (Rhonda Byrnes) for Christians. Furtick uses Biblical examples to support the new-thought theory that one's thoughts (in this case, prayers) should focus on "impossible" wishes, and then he/she should and move toward those goals -- trusting God to handle the impossible-seeming details. Joshua is the primary Biblical example used by Furtick (hence the title: "Sun Stand Still") Furtick is an evangelical leader of a mega-church, and the primary real-life example of the principle at work is the birth and growth of this church in Charlotte, NC. In short, Furtick's message seems to be this: if you aren't a Christian, then you are just SOL, but if you are a Christian, you must do two things: 1) evangelize, so that you have a platform upon which to demand audacious dreams, and 2) demand/expect the "impossible" and work toward its manifestation.

I expected to like the book much more since a dear friend suggested I read it. It's just difficult for me to get into evangelical-prosperity theology in light of the Jesus recorded in the NT. After all, Jesus tells Nicodemus to give away everything to the poor if he wants to experience the Kingdom of Heaven.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun Stand Still.

message 1: by Lew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lew Thorne A sobering misinterpretation of Sun Stand Still, in my view e.g. In the book - There's no secret. Furtick's teaching is centered on the Judeo-Christian God, the antithesis of which is self-centered new-thought. Readers are called to audible prayer and faith confessions, not mere thoughts or wishes. If you're not a Christian you're not "SOL", you're "in luck" as you can receive Jesus salvation for free, by faith. If you are a Christian the call is (1) to activate your faith toward God and his purposes for your life, (2) petition Him based on His Word, the Bible, and thus overcome the mundane and get into the middle of a move of God.
Activating "audacious faith" is the thrust of Furtick's book, not self-obsessed "Evangelical-prosperity theology" which is warned against. Jesus told a rich young ruler (not Nicodemus the Pharisee) (maybe because his faith was in his riches) "Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." (Lk 18:22 NIV) The same Jesus said "life does not consist of an abundance of possessions." (Lk 12:15) and "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (Jn 10:10) Nicodemus (the Pharisee) recognized Jesus was from God and struggled to understand the need to be "born again", for Jesus explained in Jn 3:3 "...no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again."
Sophey, your dear friend suggested reading a contemporary gem pointing to timeless truth from a modern young Christian leader's very first book. I believe it deserves more grace - perhaps a second read, or analysis of Biblical alignment.

Sophey Lew,
In your opinion, what happens to people who are not Christians?

Why did Jesus say for the young ruler to sell everything and give it all to the poor? (You are correct that it was the rich young ruler and not Nicodemus, but you missed my point. My point was "the what" of the lesson, not "the who.")

Did you create a Goodreads account just to reply to my review?

Where do you find my review lacking in "grace"?

Do you think the condescending/patronizing tone of your reply to my review is the best way to accomplish your goal (which I suppose is to get me to give the book five stars)?

This "modern young Christian leader's very first book" is thought-provoking, and I like it. It left me thinking, especially in the section about "standing up." I just don't love it. But as you say, he is young. With time, he will gain experience and wisdom -- as shall we all (hopefully).

message 3: by Lew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lew Thorne Dear Sophey! (and goodreaders)
Please forgive my apparent "condescending/patronizing" tone in response to your review, that's not my intent nor purpose and I don't mean to dismiss your opinion or change your rating in any way, both are valued and appreciated.
Just a newbie - I was invited and joined Goodreads to check it out and this was the first book, with yours the first comment to catch my attention. I was struck by the polar opposite interpretation you expressed regarding the book and found that quite sobering - so I re-read your review and commented on the opposites I perceived based on my interpretation of the book. I'm just suggesting you reconsider your interpretation in view of some observations, maybe loosen your stance equating Furtick's teaching to "new thought" philosophy, add a dose of grace - give him some slack, some unmerited credit in order to catch his intended meaning without preconception. (I tried that with "new thought" and entered some murky waters for awhile - it was worth it).
Clearly I think differently from you and I'd like to learn from you so I can resolve any prejudice on my part preventing me from understanding more fully what you and Furtick are communicating.
In my opinion, what happens to people who are not Christians is that they don't gain Christ - although they could if they accepted him and his teaching.
Misplaced faith is an issue I see with the young ruler - Maybe Jesus said to the young ruler: "Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Because Jesus saw that the young man's faith was in his riches and as "life does not consist of an abundance of possessions" he wanted the man to come to him so he could "have life, and have it to the full", to recognize Jesus and understand the need to be "born again", as Jesus explained "...no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again." - So if the young man could redirect his faith in his riches toward Jesus he might enter into the true riches of the kingdom Jesus was on about.
Please don't dismiss this book as "new thought" or "evangelical-prosperity theology" without giving it a chance to breach those erroneous conceptions - to do so would miss the author's point entirely, imho.
Thanks