Nick's Reviews > The Invisible Gorilla: And Other Ways Our Intuitions Deceive Us

The Invisible Gorilla by Christopher Chabris

May 27, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Our minds don't work as well as we like to think. We're easily fooled by our memories, our biases, and our filters. We remember not what happened, but a storyline of what we told ourselves happened, and that's often woefully inadequate and wrong. Chabris retails scarifying stories of innocent people sentenced to long prison terms based on apparently compelling witness testimony that later turned out to be completely off-base. We see patterns where there are none, really, and cause and effect where there is only proximity. Please, please, please vaccinate your children! The evidence is overwhelming that vaccines prevent horrible diseases, and the one study that connected vaccines with autism has been roundly discredited. Even its author has disavowed it. But thanks to the power of the Internet, it won't go away.....Our minds don't work as well as we like to think!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Gorilla.