Lindsay Kennedy's Reviews > Pauline Christology: An Exegetical-Theological Study

Pauline Christology by Gordon D. Fee

Aug 15, 12

bookshelves: biblical-studies, theology-christology
Read from May 27 to July 30, 2012

When recently taught through Philippians and Colossians at a Bible College, I was shocked to discover some of my students were unfamiliar with the concept of Jesus being fully man and fully divine, and some had a very weak Trinitarian understanding. The most shocking thing was that I didn't feel ready to respond to their difficulties! I had not been challenged in these areas. This set me off to study Christology.

It had come to my attention that this work by Fee is one of the best (and few) books on Christology. After reading it from cover to cover I'd have to agree. While not every exegetical conclusion may be agreed with, I consider this a monumental work. The attention to detail through Fee's rigorous scholarship, the clarity of his prose, and the personal devotion that he shows throughout this book make it a very unique contribution to Pauline studies. I know of no better work of Pauline Christology to recommend.

This book would be suitable for any patient student of the Word, as a resource for preachers, and a great textbook for Bible classes. My only slight hesitation would be for the layman, as despite having such insights and clear writing, this book is very long and technical. At the very least I would recommend the ‘Synopsis’ section to anyone. My desire is that Fee would produce a condensed version of this work, but I believe he is leaving scholarship due to this declining health. My prayers for Fee and thanks for his life’s work are many.

If anyone is wanting to understand Paul's contribution to Biblical Christology and is willing to patiently engage the texts, they couldn't find a better or more fruitful book to assist them.

Note: You can read my 6 part engagement with the book here:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pauline Christology.