Dahlia (yadkny)'s Reviews > Wicked Games

Wicked Games by Jill Myles

May 28, 12

Recommended for: Contemp Romance Lovers
Read from May 27 to 28, 2012, read count: 1

It's Survivor meets Temptation Island.

Abby knew the moment her boss called her into her office that she was in trouble. As a book reviewer better known as 'Abby the Book Bitch', her next assignment involves doing some actual field research and this "first hand exclusive" could lead to a major career move. All she has to do is get through a few rounds on Endurance Island, so despite her hesitations at being part of the center of national attention and ridicule, Abby quite literally dives right in and soon learns her first lesson of survival - be cutthroat.

Dean, also known as 'Adonis', has no qualms over being a jerk from the start and will use his looks and athleticism to his complete advantage, especially on the ladies. However, Abby is on to him and while she reluctantly has to work with him, it soon becomes hard to concentrate on the game when emotions become entangled. Marooned on a beautiful island with the hottest guy she's ever seen and competition as fierce as sharks, it doesn't take long for Abby to feel out of her element. Amidst the others she feels awkward and abundantly insecure in the looks department, but it's her wit, intelligence, and perseverance that makes her an incredibly likeable character and the perfect partner for Dean. But how far will that take her in the competition?

The story is told from Abby's perspective and although we get a clue of insight into Dean's thoughts at the beginning of each chapter I still wanted more. We are teased with his thoughts and I found myself awaiting each new chapter just to get another glimpse from him. From the onset it was easy to dislike Dean, but infinitely harder to stay that way as the story unfolds. The focus is firmly on Dean and Abby for the first few weeks of competition and their character and relationship growth. Much more intimate that way and erotically sensual when events took a heated turn.

While I might feel a little short changed by the ending, the rest of the story is fluid and paced to get to the important points. I loved the mix of the game-show familiar with the island romance of two people who would never have met otherwise and I definitely wouldn't mind a reunion special on these two. Romance readers looking for a little island getaway action under the pretense of a survival competition, should check out this story.

Review soon-to-be posted @ Night Owl Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Games.

05/28/2012 page 62