Libby Ames's Reviews > Rebel Fire

Rebel Fire by Andrew Lane

May 27, 12

bookshelves: for-my-boys, mystery, young-adult-fiction
Read in May, 2012

In this second book in the Young Sherlock Holmes series, we get more insight into how Sherlock becomes the archetypical sleuth we know. He is continuing his studies with American tutor Amyus Crow, but becomes intrigued when his brother Mycroft comes to visit Crow on urgent business. When he overhears their discussion about President Lincoln’s assassin, John Wilkes Booth, possibly being in England and nearby, Sherlock is determined to investigate. However, his investigation doesn’t go as planned and soon has Sherlock and his friends on an urgent and dangerous mission to America.

On this adventure, we see Sherlock begin his study of the violin. We also learn about his fascination with tattoos and their origins and also his interest in America and American culture. Lane writes a good representation of a developing Sherlock Holmes, leaving room for the foibles of youth as well as the formative experiences that create a mature Holmes. The one caution with this book is there are several instances of killing. None of it is graphic, but be aware it is there for sensitive readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel Fire.