Emilyann's Reviews > 1Q84

May 27, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: unfinished
Read from May 27 to June 21, 2012

I wanted to like this book.
I really, really wanted to like it. Though I suppose in retrospect it's dumb to assume the merit of a novel from the inside jacket, what I saw was immediately interesting. I assumed that such a large book would, inevitably, have enough plot not hinted at in the blurb to carry it throughout its nine hundred pages.
This view persisted until about four hundred pages in, where I felt the first tinges of desperation creeping up. I had a stack of other books to read, but I wanted to start reading them all after this epic. Slowly, I found myself putting away less and less time for reading.
I believe I was around page seven hundred and fifty when I read my last ham-handed description of some vague sexual escapade and placed the book down gently. I was done.

The only other book I have ever failed to finish is Witch and Wizard by James Patterson, which I believe is justifiable, but this just disappointed me so much that I couldn't finish. With the way the narrative moved, I believed the ending would collapse onto itself in a miasma of awkward sexual encounters, pseudo-philosophical ramblings, and some attempt at a love story. 1Q84 was never pretentious, a quality that I can't stand in novels, but burdensome and long. There were pieces of it I loved-- the characters really stood out to me-- but I found myself wanting most of it cut. It's a shame.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.

05/31/2012 page 432