Versel Rush's Reviews > A Peach of a Murder

did not like it
Recommended to Versel by: Amazon
Recommended for: no one
Read from May 27 to June 06, 2012

I love Washburn's literary tour series. I love Texas mystery writers. I love mysteries set it Texas. So I thought the fresh-baked mysteries would be perfect (I even love Weatherford). Oh, was I wrong.

The settings and Texasisms included in the book are spot on. And, unfortunately, those are the ONLY things to like in this book.

The book plods along--and I mean PLODS. The dialogue is a little stilted but I'm assuming a way to differentiate her older school-marmish characters. However, being friends with 70+ year old teachers, and one an English teacher, I recommend she try another character trait.

The plot is unbelievable--literally. About halfway through the book the motives became clear and about 3/4's into it, the "killer" was obvious. Even so, I kept hearing myself think, "you have GOT to be kidding!". Unfortunately, she wasn't.

And, finally, the big, huge, ENORMOUS problem with this book--a total lack of understanding of Texas law and the unforgivable sin of not checking before finishing the book. "Hold her as a material witness"? Really? Not in this state. "Attempted homicide"? HUH? "If there's a reason to want () dead, then it's murder"? WHAT? And, finally, criminally charging someone with sexual harrassment? NOPE. Buy a Penal Code, buy a Code of Criminal Procedure, or talk to an attorney. Do not put out a novel in which law enforcement is so misinformed.

One star--and the last of this series for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Peach of a Murder.

05/27/2012
50.0% "Enjoying it so far BUT, please in the name of heaven, do NOT write about Texas laws without talking to a Texas lawyer--the mistakes are driving me batty!"
06/06/2012
70.0% "DEAR LORD, MS. WASHBURN, GET A TEXAS ATTORNEY TO FIX THE MESS YOU HAVE MADE EVERY TIME YOU HAVE ANYONE TALK ABOUT THE LAW! PLEASE!"