Melanie's Reviews > Eye of the Sword

Eye of the Sword by Karyn Henley

May 27, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, review-copy, waterbrook-multnomah, young-adult
Read in May, 2012

Eye of the Sword by Karyn Henley is the second book in the Angelaeon circle series. It picks up in the middle of the story and leaves you wanting to read more once you are done. Unfortunately, I have only read the second book, so I had some catching up to do on plot lines and new terminology that is unique to this fantasy world. So if you have a choice, start with the first book.
Trevin is the main character in this section of the story and is trying to overcome his past, filled with guilt and a lot of questions about his history and family. While he is madly in love with the princess, it seems his realm needs his help finding the missing comains (knights) and helping the angels unite the stairway to heaven again before he can even consider a relationship with her. (That sounds a little cheesy, but the book is really entertaining with lots of plot twist and surprises.) In fact, the only part that I found a little cliché was the love story between Trevin and Melaia. I think some boys would find the book overly mushy for their taste, despite it being written from the male perspective. There were a few too many things like “He could be in the most frigid wastes of the north without cloak of fire, and as long as Melaia was with him, he would be warm.” While it’s nice, I don’t think many younger male readers will identify with those passages, which seem to pop of as often as a sword fight does.
Overall, I am surprised at how interesting this book was and would definitely be interested in finding out where the story leads. This book was provided for review from the publisher.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eye of the Sword.