Julie 's Reviews > Waiting for Godot

Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

May 27, 12

bookshelves: author_male, favorite, pub_post-1945, type_fiction, play_theater
Recommended to Julie by: Brian Hopps
Recommended for: Anyone who has ever waited
Read from May 12 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

OMG WFG. Like a precursor to the way we communicate today via acronyms and hyper-abbreviated text messages, Waiting For Godot is a pared-down, sometimes lyrical and frequently absurd running commentary on the human condition. A typical exchange between the two main characters goes like this: "What do we do now? --While waiting. --While waiting. --We could do our exercises. --Our movements. --Our elevations. --Our relaxations. --Our elongations. --Our relaxations. --To warm us up. --To calm us down. --Off we go." The obvious question, what are these two men waiting for, is less important than what they are doing while they are waiting. The brilliance of the work is its universality, the fact that we are all susceptible to thinking that our lives will be great if only such-and-such would just happen. We wait for our boss to understand us, for our husbands to love us, for our kids to graduate . . . and before we know it, our lives are over and all we have done is wait.

I count myself lucky in that my first exposure to this utterly amazing piece of writing was via a production of the play featuring some of the best classically-trained theater actors in America today. It is, after all, a play, and while you can certainly read plays and get a lot out of them, they were meant to be performed, and seeing them performed by acting companies that are at the top of their game is like no other experience. So, kudos to the American Players Theater and actors James DeVita, James Ridge, Brian Mani and John Pribyl, who performed this play brilliantly in 2010 and opened my mind to the possibilities of WFG. OMG it was an incredible performance, which led me to read the play and explore its richness phrase by phrase.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for Godot.