Catherine Thompson's Reviews > Resurrection Men

Resurrection Men by Ian Rankin

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: crime, police-procedural
Read from May 27 to June 03, 2012

Rebus is sent to Tuliallan, the police academy, ostensibly for re-training after hurling a mug of tea across the room at his commanding officer. His group consists of a number of last-chancers, in that this is the last chance they'll have to shape up before they're shipped out... of the force. But there's more in play than meets the eye, because at least one of these men is a bent copper... one who's willing to commit murder to keep his secrets buried.

Back at St. Leonard's, newly promoted Detective Sergeant Siobhan Clarke is working the Edward Marber murder inquiry. Marber was an art dealer who had more enemies, it seems, than friends. But his path crossed that of Big Ger Cafferty, Edinburgh's top gangster, more than once, it appears. Whether that led to his murder is something Siobhan wants to know.

Ian Rankin is the writer I turn to for inspiration when it comes to writing. He can knock me down or lift me up with his words. I aspire to turn one phrase equal to his--just one. Resurrection Men was one of the few Inspector Rebus novels I'd missed reading earlier, and I was eager to get stuck in, yet reluctant, knowing that the sooner I read it, the sooner I'd finish it and feel slightly bereft, as I do whenever I read a really good book. It didn't disappoint. From the beginning, it was like meeting old friends, and the moment I closed the book for the last time, I felt satisfied yet a bit sad that it was over. That, for me, is the hallmark of a great writer and a terrific book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resurrection Men.