Jess's Reviews > Let Me In

Let Me In by Callie Croix

May 27, 12

bookshelves: 2012, net-galley, romantica
Read in May, 2012

I have never read anything by this author and later found out that the main character (Liam) in this book was featured in a previous book. So I guess this is more like a second book in a series, but while reading it I had no idea I was really missing out on anything. Looking back it probably would have made me even more interested in Liam by providing more background into his character as this was a short book.

Anyway, this was a sexy short story about a character named Liam who is ex military and Talia who is currently in the military. Talia is home on leave and disappointed when she shows up the airport knowing that no one will be there to great her. To her surprise Liam and his sister meet her outside the airport to take her to their house for Thanksgiving. Liam sees Talia and has to hold himself back from showing his true emotions to her. He has cared about her for awhile and needs to decide if the time is right to approach her. Talia on the other hand, is dealing with her mother and her mother's issues and is having trouble letting people get close to her. When Liam begins to break past her barriers Talia has to decide if she will do what's right for her or everyone else.

I loved Liam's character. His alpha male nature appealed to me and obviously to Talia as well. I like how he waded past all the crap in Talia's life and just began to help her, even when she didn't know she wanted it. I loved how they both navigated around each other and their new relationship, I would have loved to have seen more but this was just a short story. Now I want to go back and find the first story that Liam was in because I feel the need to know more about him.

Talia was an interesting character as well. She was fiercely independent, almost stubborn, and I liked watching her fence with Liam. I thought the issue with her mom was really sad but also I couldn't help but find it a bit funny. The mom was clearly insane and how Talia kept that hidden from everyone was beyond my understanding. Needless to say Talia's mom was a bit crazy.

In terms of the sexual part of the book, I was a little confused about the labeling of the genre. It's considered erotica which I agree that it is, but it also had a label of being BDSM. But, while there were hints of it by Liam showing his more dominant side, there weren't really any sex scenes that involved bdsm play. I have to say that it did disappoint me a little bit, but the sex scenes were still well written and it balanced nicely with the romance of the book and the other plot arcs. This book has convinced me to check out other books by this author.

Thanks to netgalley and Carina press for providing me with this book to read and review!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let Me In.