Lizzie's Reviews > Her Best Worst Mistake

Her Best Worst Mistake by Sarah Mayberry

Dec 13, 12

bookshelves: angst, read-in-2012, series-romance
Read in May, 2012

This might be my very favorite Mayberry. Violet and Martin are very recognizable types, and yet small decisions on characterization and plot turned the book from a cliche into an enjoyable study of how people are often most honest when they roll with events and go off script. The chemistry between Martin and Violet was tangible, and Martin's switch from snooze to sex god was entirely believable given how his relationship with Elizabeth was eventually described.

I loved that Martin never went off on a big-mis or in a big-huff when things with Violet did not go his way- this played so strongly against the trope of the 'stuffy one' and enhanced the romance to no end. All of the quirks that made Martin so wrong for Elizabeth (the compulsion to care, to manage, to support) made him very good with Violet. I found Violet's angst about Elizabeth completely believable given her lack of another support network; however, after living in Elizabeth's head in Hot Island Nights I feel bad for Violet knowing just how little Elizabeth thought about or felt the desire to connect with her supposed-best friend (and was in complete sympathy with Martin when he felt the same.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Best Worst Mistake.