Kim's Reviews > Uncommon Criminals

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: favourites, comfort-reads, mystery-thriller, want-to-reread
Read from June 05 to 09, 2012

Ally Carter has done it again – she has created a perfect, fun mystery and adventure story that I could not put down. Kat, Hale and their other thieving friends take danger and excitement to a whole new level. I couldn’t have asked for anything more. There is nothing better than knowing you can pick up a book by a favourite author and not have to worry that it won’t be what you expected.

Kat Bishop is an epic teenage thief; racing around the globe to steal one of the most famous and mysterious treasures that the world has ever seen: The Cleopatra Emerald. But she’s not stealing it for herself; no, Kat’s an “uncommon criminal” – she steals stolen objects and returns them to their rightful owners, despite potential danger and cost! I love Kat’s lifestyle. She’s grown up surrounded by a life of crime and when she can’t escape the pressures of her family’s thieving history or the rush of adventure she gets for successfully pulling off heists, she decides to use her finely tuned skills for good...mostly. She may do it in a strange way, but her heart is in the right place.

Part of what I love so much about this book (and the one before it: ‘Heist Society’) is the fact that there are so many switches in point-of-view. I love seeing not only Kat’s thoughts and missions, but her friends’ movements too. But they’re not the only ones to feature in this series. There’s something strangely entertaining about seeing the POV of those being conned: the museum owners, the event organisers, the people in possession of the jewels. We get to experience how these people see Kat and her friends – we’re present for every little movement throughout the story. I find it makes everything more exciting - there are no parts left out.

The series isn’t just set up for an individual heist that’s wrapped up at the end of each book. What makes the series so thrilling is that there’s a continuing mystery unfolding slowly over each new story. There is a secret and super skilled thief running around leaving strange calling cards and often causing the characters to panic a bit. The thief is Visily Romani. He’s not new to the series, featuring more in the previous book, but he does pop up again in ‘Uncommon Criminals’. The mystery surrounding his identity and mission in the criminal world leaves me with so many questions. I love when a series has these amazing plot arcs connecting the books. One day we will hopefully discover who Visily Romani is and I know it will be a big reveal!

Like with ‘Heist Society’ I can’t end the review without mentioning Hale. He worried me a little in this book. While completely devoted to Kat, there were moments when I questioned his patience with her thieving style – I shouldn’t doubt his loyalty. Hale is a charming and caring young thief, who can always bring a smile to me face. I loved the continued tension between Kat and Hale and I’m so glad we got to see some sort of resolution for that.

Can’t say enough to show how much I loved this book. Looking forward to the next one.

5/5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncommon Criminals.

06/09/2012 page 69
23.0% "I love this book already...everything moves to quickly. So much fun!"
06/09/2012 page 179
60.0% ""I believe in you." -- Hale <3"
06/09/2012 page 255
86.0% ""She felt like just another girl at the ball in that moment, just another person needing it to be real - a romance that had spanned two thousand years. A love that had overcome geography and class and time. She wanted to believe in that. She looked at Hale and knew he wanted it too." -- <3 <3 <3"
06/09/2012 page 298
100.0% "Oh how I love Ally Carter. Perfect book!"

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Mandy Rosas told ya ;)

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Yes you did and I didn't doubt you for one second, although I still like Zach a bit more than Hale ... Spy <3

Mandy Rosas whaa? *hugs Hale* ... Thief <3

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Lol, each to their own. Hale's awesome, but I can't pass up Zach. I smile just thinking about him.