Reading Teen (Andye)'s Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: great-on-audio

The Audio:

Molly Quinn (from the t.v. show Castle) also read the City of Fallen Angels audiobook (with Ed Westwick), and I really enjoyed her part, so I was excited to learn that she was narrating this one as well. When I start with a series, I really like it when they stick with the same reader, because I get attached to her, and her voice just sounds right. I feel like she sounds like Clary should sound, and I love that she even looks like Clary. I’ve now listened to all of Cassie Clare’s books on audio. I love them, and I’ll continue listening to all of her books! Listen to a sample here.

The Book:

The Mortal Instrument series is spaced enough apart, that the showdowhunter world doesn't get old, in my opinion. Of course, I do not have to say what an incredible writer and storyteller Cassandra Clare is. I love the shadowhunter world, it's always exciting and so epic. When City of Lost Souls was put neatley on the bookstore shelves, I snatched one up instantly. I was so excited to start this book.

Hold on to your butts for I am about to tell you... I didn't like City of Lost Souls all that much. What??? *gasp* She did not just say that?! Now believe me when I say... I LOVE CASSIE CLARE and her style of writing. I love her sarcasm, sense of humor and imagination! Before you slap some sense into me, let me tell you why...

First - Jace is not himself!
I might just read this series because of Jace. I love him, he is oh-so-perfect. So, when I say he is not himself (possessed by the evil Lilith and Sebastian duo), he is really not himself. I know it's not Jace's fault. I could imagine it would be hard to be funny, make witty remarks, and have that cool bad boy charm, when you are the servant of evil. Well I don't care, I missed him so much in this book. To me Jace is the glue to this series. The icing on top of the cinnamon roll.

Second - There wasn't really any demon hunting or killing.
Yes, yes, I know what you are saying... "Everyone is looking for Jace, raising demons, and plotting to find him!" Well, that is another reason why I love The Mortal Instrument series so much, it never stops. In every book, there are several great action packed scenes, were demons get slaughtered. We all like to read about demons getting slaughter, right? So, for me the one action scene in the end of this book, wasn't enough.

On the other hand...

I loved Clary's mother Jocelyn, she was awesome. I miss the non-existent mother figures in most YA books. So when I read about a mother who is motherly and protective, it puts a smile on my face. Clary is very grown up, composed and clever this time around, and she does it with very little help from Jace or Simon.

There are tons of makeout scenes in City of Lost Souls. I mean every other page, someone is kissing, getting hot and heavy. I guess that can be a plus. Cassie Clare can write one steamy scene, or two, or three.

The book may be the darkest of all the books. Raising demons and everything else that sounds scary evil made this book not a light read for sure. I don't mind the dark, I actually enjoyed this part of the book.

In the end, I would say this is my least favorite in The Mortal Instruments series. Of course they are many great things about this book, but for me the bad outweighed the good. As always, I'm looking forward to book six City of Heavenly Fire coming September 2014.

-Amy

Profanity: Moderate
Sexual: Extreme
Violence: Heavy

For full content go to Parental Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.