Allison's Reviews > The Redeemer

The Redeemer by Jo Nesbø

May 27, 12

Read from May 26 to 27, 2012

562 pages of brilliance.

The English-speaking publication industry has destroyed Jo Nesbo's fantastic Harry Hole (pronounced "Hula" like Hula Hoop) series, not only by omitting the first two books in this series by starting it on the third book (The Redbreast), but also by switching the order of a few books in the series. Whatever the case, make sure you are reading these in order: they are brilliant. Did I say that already?

It's understandable then why I had a hard time finding this book. Not only is this book the only one missing from this series at my local library, but it is also missing from the libraries in nearby counties as well as in e-book downloads. In the end, I had to purchase this used and wait for it to arrive. Even then, I was hesitate about starting the novel simply because The Devil's Star blew my mind and I was convinced that nothing could top it.

I was, fortunately, mistaken.

If you are not a fan of the series, become one. I was glad that this book was so thick since I didn't want to put it down (and I didn't - I finished it within 24 hours). I'm too excited and can't wait to start on the next one. It is easy to say that Jo Nesbo is the master of plot, the MC of words, and the ringleader of exceptional narrative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Redeemer.

05/26/2012 page 229
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Harris Excellent comment on reading in order. Unfortanely, I couldn't find this in English until recently but have been able to place it in the timeline. I was initially intimidated by the length but the time is speeding by since it is so intriguing!

Allison Pat wrote: "Excellent comment on reading in order. Unfortanely, I couldn't find this in English until recently but have been able to place it in the timeline. I was initially intimidated by the length but the ..."

Thanks! It has been bugging for me awhile. I actually think that in terms of detective story, The Redeemer is the best. I hope you enjoy it as much too!

Carol I have read all the books in this series available in English, although this one I had to order from England. This character is so addictive and I keep pulling for him to put his life together get back with Rakel but somehow I think Jo Nesbo will doom this poor Harry to eternal isolation and self destruction. Thanks for the Norwegian pronunciation of the surname. I can't wait for the others to be translated and released in America.

Eyehavenofilter I still can't find it! But I won't give up! I'm determined to read it and re-read the others again. Nesbo became my favorite author as soon as I started reading the first book I purchased. I was hooked.

Allison Hi Carol and Ada-Lee,

I purchased mine off of Amazon and it arrived VERY quickly and in excellent condition.

And I agree, Carol, I do think Harry is doomed to be by himself - but, oh!, how I love his interactions with those closest to him. :)

ΑνναΦ I'm a fan of the serie, indeed, with great disappointment of my friends. :) But Hula? I've read somewhere, the right pronunciation was "Hule".

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Nguyen What is the correct order?

message 8: by Harry (last edited Jul 14, 2013 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Harry Allison wrote: "I do think Harry is doomed to be by himself - but, oh!, how I lo..."

Allison, liked your review! I too am very annoyed at the publisher: their ignorance and disrespect to readers of "series", ignorant of the overall Harry Hole saga (do they not have editors that realize this, and the consequence to readers when published out of order?).

As to Harry's flawed character (is it really flawed?), his doom to spend his life alone...I think Harry is settled with this, as one of his last utterances in The Phantom is: "In the end...I am a policeman." And so the question becomes what does this mean?

For myself, a reader of all his books, it means that a policeman must sacrifice certain things in life that we, normal citizens, take for granted. One of them is solid relationships: the danger to loved ones when your job is to apprehend those who may take revenge; the thankless job that requires a policeman to internalize every day horrors that were they to happen to us normal citizens, we would spend a lifetime in a psychiatrist office to exorcise from our minds. And so a policeman seeks to dull this via a number of ways, usually by drowning himself in alcohol.

In my opinion, Jo Nesbo gives readers the most devastating exploration of what a flawed hero really is, and why that is not a graceful story...but one that elicits from normal citizens, or, readers, a profound empathy for Harry Hole and the sacrifices he makes.

message 9: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Duncan Now available on Kindle. The Bat, which is the first, just showed up on Kindle as well.

message 10: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Harris Folks at my wonderful local mystery bookshop have told me that there are rumors in the book world that the series may continue. We shall see...

Harry Pat wrote: "Folks at my wonderful local mystery bookshop have told me that there are rumors in the book world that the series may continue. We shall see..."

It does continue...with Policeman, due out Q4 or Q1 of next year.

message 12: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah We read Devil's Star for book club this summer, and then found out it was the 5th book (or so says the American publisher). Hula is much easier to remember than whatever the guy in book club tried to tell us what the presentation. Thanks for the tip about order. I'll have to see if I can find what the original order is before I continue on.

Harry Sarah wrote: "We read Devil's Star for book club this summer, and then found out it was the 5th book (or so says the American publisher). Hula is much easier to remember than whatever the guy in book club tried ..."

Sarah, the order is pretty well laid out here on GR...see this page

message 14: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Stinton Harry wrote: "Pat wrote: "Folks at my wonderful local mystery bookshop have told me that there are rumors in the book world that the series may continue. We shall see..."

It does continue...with Policeman, due ..."

Harry Dan wrote: "Police (#9) is due out October 15th and "Cockroaches" (#2, between The Bat and Redbreast) Spring of 2014 "

Exactly, and how weird is that publishing order for what amounts to perhaps the most famous Scandinavian writer on the market today!

message 16: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Harris Redbreast was my first. Thank goodness they are excellent on their own...yes, I am rationalizing.

Leslie Agree, I love the series and have been listening to the audio versions which are excellent. Read by a British actor who unfortunately does not pronounce "Hula" correctly but does a fantastic job in all other respects. Only one book of the series so far was read by a different actor who sounded like Norwegian was his first language, but I didn't enjoy that one as much (possible Cockroaches).