Renee 's Reviews > Teddy and the Darkgate

May 26, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: first-reads
Read from December 19 to 22, 2012

I received a complimentary copy of this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I don't particularly like giving negative reviews because I really do believe that just because I don't like a book, it doesn't mean someone else won't enjoy it. This book had me shaking my head throughout in bafflement. I'm left unsure as to who is the intended target audience.

You have a talking teddy bear who drinks toilet water, who feels various levels of pain, who eats and drinks but doesn't need sustenance to survive, and who talks like toddler ... but is the only "character" who does so. From my perspective, I simply can't relate to nor did I connect with this character, Teddy.

There are a series of other characters as well, equally strange and quirky including talking sheep, talking china dolls, and hmm... talking moccasins. These are not friendly, toy-like characters that you would like to read about to your children. There is a lot of death and darkness in this book - it was making ME uncomfortable.

As for the story itself, the main themes are belongingness and family. Teddy leaves his "family" after the addition of a baby to the household leaves him feeling neglected. He leaves on a quest to find the pretty "Lady Teddy" and without giving too much away ... well, ... a lot of bad things happen (and some good too). This is simply not a feel-good book. Despite the "happy ending", I'm still left feeling unsatisfied.

I don't understand the Dark Gate. There seems to be no lead up to the Dark Gate (or at least I didn't conceive of one) and it's only introduced near the end of the story. And, I don't understand its purpose in the overall story.

Sorry, but this book was just not for me. It's very unusual and dark and I just didn't enjoy reading it. I should have stopped after Teddy drank the toilet water.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teddy and the Darkgate.

12/19/2012 page 33
15.0% "Within the first chapter we have a talking bear drinking out of a toilet. Sigh ... I'm not sure I can take this book seriously."
12/20/2012 page 70
33.0% "One day I will get over my compulsion to "need to finish a book I start regardless of how little I am enjoying it"."