Sita's Reviews > The Associate

The Associate by John Grisham

May 26, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended for: those who like lawyer/legal stories
Read in May, 2012

well, it is indeed taking the bare bone of "The Firm", thrown a bit of "Theodore Boone" as the back story and voila, we have "the Associate". If in the firm we met a happy, ambitious, extremely smart, young law grad, eagerly joining a big firm, here we have a happy, extremely smart, somewhat ambitious young law grad, being dragged in ball and chain to join a big law firm due to a blackmailing scheme.

It is still a page turner, but I no longer stayed up all night to finish the book. Reading Grisham's legal stories is like reading Jane Austen's these days. You know the hero is going to get married or off the hook, as the case may be. The only difference is that you may not really get all the loose ends tied up nicely. Sometimes Grisham likes to change things around by leaving a thing or two unsolved. I kinda look forward to his non-legal stories or the Ted Boone series now cuz it's just more fun seeing it from a kid's perspective.

But, as far a storytelling goes, this is still a good yarn. So there goes. If you like lawyer stories, you'd probably like this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Associate.