Hannah's Reviews > Tomorrow Land

Tomorrow Land by Mari Mancusi

F 50x66
May 26, 12

I'm getting a little tired of dystopian/post-apocalyptic novels. The plot always sounds great, but 9 times out of 10 the author fails to deliver. I can count on one hand the number of books in this genre that were amazing. Yet I continue to read these books. I think I might be a masochist. Certainly, anyone who reads this book has to be.

This book had a lot of potential, but it failed across the board.
-The characters are stereotypical. You can find either one of them in a 2cent romance novel at your local Walmart. They are not dynamic or special in any way.
-The beginning was difficult to get into. Oh sure the first line is actually pretty great, but it's not until later on in the book that it actually starts to get interesting. The problem is how long it takes to get to the good part. I can read a good book in a few hours. It took me a week to get halfway through this book. There were times when I actually dreaded picking it up again, but I did because I wanted to know what happened.
-The tone of writing is off somehow. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's just annoying for some reason. Melodramatic and over the top writing.
-The ending, which I won't spoil, was rushed. It was almost like a deus ex machina. It seemed the author got tired of writing and wanted to tie everything up in a neat little bow without going to the effort of doing the work. And after forcing myself to read through the terrible beginning, I was a little ticked off with the sloppy ending.
-The pacing of the entire book was off. It jumped back and forth so much, I'm surprised I didn't get whiplash.
-If you're going to write a book with zombies, you're going to have to find a way to distinguish them and your book from all the other books out there with zombies. Or at the very least, make it interesting. I felt like it was a rehash of Night of the Living Dead, and not in a good way.

The only thing the author did right, was the plot. It was a good one, and it had so much potential. But she totally killed it. Bottom line, this book is as generic as the zombies she wrote about.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow Land.