Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog's Reviews > Dark Soul Vol. 4

Dark Soul Vol. 4 by Aleksandr Voinov

7192208
Jan 15, 13

bookshelves: adult, favorites, m-m-romance, assassins
Recommended for: m-m, gay, assassin, thriller, mafia, mafioso
Read from May 26 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

~~~

No Spoilers - just quotes

All this was too bizarre for words.

In this penultimate book in the series things are really coming to a head. Literally, Stephano is pushed to the brink from so many directions that you feel he is about to lose it at any moment. Voinov keeps an edge of discomfort running through this story and that tension is thrilling.

"Tell me to leave."
The barracuda's closing in for the kill.
"I wouldn't mean it."

No one and nothing is pushing Stephano harder or further than himself. I like the dichotomy of these "power men" who are so confused by basic instinct and emotion. And, although I find myself nearly shouting at the characters what the right choice is there is, even in me, an underlying doubt about who's pulling strings and moving pawns.

Who'd give him the wisdon to handle Silvio without losing his mind in addition to his heart?

I was surprised and delighted to find levity mixed into a climactic portion of the story. Again and even more glaringly, Stephano's self-doubt and humanness shows through allowing me to identify (as ridiculous as that seems) with him.

..."you leave...an absence when you're not there. Unlike other people, who leave nothing." He sounded like an idiot, didn't he. Yep, he did.

Although I missed having more of Silvio's perspective in this book, he was clearly central to the story. His angst and pain permeated everywhere and his unique sexual attractiveness makes him an undeniably unforgettable character.

I am looking forward to the conclusion even as I have my concerns that there is likely not going to be a happy ending.

~~~

Take a look at my Male/Male Romance Book Blog:

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Soul Vol. 4.

05/27/2012
36.0% "The barracuda's closing in for the kill."
05/27/2012
76.0% "All of this was too bizarre for words."

Lenore Re the ending. I have a feeling you will like it. Despite your concerns.