Michelle [Helen Geek]'s Reviews > Betrayed - Alternate Ending

Betrayed - Alternate Ending by Wodke Hawkinson

May 31, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: gr-high-recommend, tbr-kindle, ntm_authors_2012, not-my-cup-of-tea, less-than-3, not-finished
Recommended to Michelle by: GR based on a KA in my 5Star shelf
Recommended for: Not a living soul .. seriously!
Read in May, 2012

2 Stars, or less really.. A big DNF for me.

I got about 55% through the book and was losing interest fast. I really hated that for two [2] reasons:

1 -- I had so much time invested in this damned thing [okay, only a few hours, but time is money and I ain't gettin' younger .. know what I mean]!!

2 -- Brooke, the poor thing. She was married to a man with no balls. He put her in a situation that got her into a terrible jam. There was an abduction and very graphically depicted, repeated, brutal assaults on her and she escapes .. GO Brooke!! She is found by this very gentle, kind hermit. He takes care of her and nurses her back to health. They begin to connect and then the book dives .... the dialogue turns cheesy, the plot dissolves, right before our very eyes. Poor Brooke, poor me .. I had to let it go.

A damn shame. So, I put this thing down and Becs picked it up. I tried to tell her and was really hoping it would redeem itself after I dropped it. Thinking, maybe I'll pick it up again... NOT!! See Becs review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

She didn't like it any better than I did and she finished!! So, a BIG DNF for me and I do feel bad, but so many more worthy books out there and times awastin' BABY!!

So, who would like this? I can't think of a living soul... so, maybe if you aren't with the living .. you may or not, but if not, don't blame me!!

Not going to be Happy Reading this one .. I'm fairly certain =)
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayed - Alternate Ending.

05/28/2012
18.0% "This poor girl. Not for the faint at heart. She is going through hell right now and really hope she can endure. Awful, heart-wrenching." 5 comments
05/28/2012
55.0% "Just gonna put this down and may come back later. The dialogue is a bit cheesy and we have a bit of filler - and I'm losing patience. Unfortunate. I want Brooke to be okay and may not have the patience to stick and be certain."

message 1: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie Michelle, isn't this the one Ian liked, but was disturbed by? It looks interesting, that's for sure! ;)

Michelle [Helen Geek] I'm not sure. It showed up as one of my GR rec's based on my rating of a KA book; Wildest Dreams. Not sure why, they have nothing in common, but it does sound interesting and when I read other reviews, my interest escalated. I hope I like it.

message 3: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie Yeah, GR does that sometimes with very unassociated books! HA! Anyway, I've heard good things, but it dosen't sound like a feel-good book. Can't wait to see what you think! :) ox

message 4: by Anne OK (new)

Anne OK FYI - there's a separate book that begins at Chapter 49 with an alternate ending from the original book. It's 99-cents on Amazon right now. I clearly states you should read the original book first and that the alternate contains more drama and suspense allowing for retaliation against the bad guys.

message 5: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie Whoa, that's really interesting, Anne. Very cool!

Michelle [Helen Geek] I'm about 10% in and I like the way it starts. I think this will be seriously good. Not as dark as you may think or at least not yet. I'll keep you posted. I think even Ian would like this so far, which rather tells you the direction the book is taking.

message 7: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie Nice, Michelle! Thanks and keep us posted!! ;)

~ Becs ~ If only I had put it down at 55%

Michelle [Helen Geek] It got stupid fast. What was she thinking. She did such raw rape and captivity scenes, but then turned so yuck. Almost like two people. I wonder if the book wasn't therapy for her -- too bad. I wanted to follow Brooke through. I feel like I let her down. Thanks for your review.

~ Becs ~ No problem - we've definitely had the same issues here.

message 11: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie Good, honest review, Michelle! oxo

Michelle [Helen Geek] Thanks =)

message 13: by Anne OK (new)

Anne OK Oh crap! Do you think Amazon will let me return it and the alternate finish? This DNF by you speaks volumes to me and I'm thinking I should be a more patient person and not be so quick to one-click!!

By the way, you laid it out straightforward and to the point which is admirable and appreciated.

Michelle [Helen Geek] I think so. You are supposed to be able to return. I've not done it before and think there is a time limit, but think you can and I sure would try.

~ Becs ~ Oh Anne - the peril of the one click button!!

Michelle - thanks for referencing my review. We've had the same issues with this book - cheese factor, way too high!